13 December 2007

homeward bound//week31

Well I cannot believe 7 months has already passed. In some senses it's flown by. In other ways, it feels as if I've lived in Paarl forever. I run into familiar faces at the grocery store. I discuss politics at braais (bbqs). I'm in churches' "family pictures." I'm referred to as auntie by all the staff's children- even sister by some of them. I'm one of them.

Just the other day my pastor introduced me as an African American to a new friend. And there's some truth to that! In some ways, I've become very African. I'm always late. I take hot milk with my tea and coffee. I say "is it?" and "ja." I complain about our 10-cars-on-the-road "traffic." I watch soccer. I don't wear shoes. I've become South African. Yet, it's very obvious I am American. I like email and lists. I demand my rights. I barely speak 1 language, let alone 4. And I want to fix everything, on my own.

And now as I prepare to start my journey home tonight, I look forward to many things about America- Mexican food, Starbucks, fast Internet and excellent education!

On a serious note, I do crave the community that APU has generous given me, the wise words of my mother and the humor of my father and siblings. I look forward to returning home. But I approach the return with caution because of the dreaded word- "reentry."

Many questions come to mind. Will I be overwhelmed by the fast paced society? What have I forgotten? Will I be able to enjoy the same things I did before? What will frustrate me? Will I be understood?

I think those questions stand as my prayer requests. So as you think of me, along with the safety of my 36 hour journey, be praying for the great reentry process. I'm expecting beauty within the pain of leaving one home for another. And I await the even greater lessons God has in store through this transition.

Thank you all for standing by me through prayer and encouragement. My 7 months here was a collective effort. And I will be forever grateful.

May God shower his peace and warmth upon you this holiday season.

No comments: