29 October 2007

birthday//week24

This week I celebrated my 20th birthday. The simplicity of the day was refreshing and monumental.

I spent my birthday in Mbekweni, the local township I’ve given my heart to. My only request for my birthday was that I spend the night in the township. It’s become such a central point of my life that it only seemed natural.

I spent that night at Pastor Mqokeleli’s home. His family has become some of my closest friends, and that night they were my family. They invited two other good friends of mine, Andiswe and Pam, and we enjoyed a traditional and scrumptious Xhosa meal prepared by Mama Nosipho. And to top it off, they prepared a pig’s head in my honor.

As Mr. Piggy starred at me from across the table, my stomach began to resent my adventurous spirit. But how could I resist? This story could top eating chicken feet or maybe even my African chicken pox.

After three samplings from different areas of the head, we came to the sound conclusion that that was all that was making into my stomach that night. I returned to the rest of my meal feeling rather victorious.

As I lay in bed that night after a sweet time of cake and gifts, I was overwhelmed by the blessings of that day. All the usual extravagance of American birthdays was stripped away and I was left with the heart of the matter. The real reason to celebrate me was to celebrate the work that God has done in my life that has brought me to this day.

Happy birthday to me, but all the glory be to God.

No comments: