28 June 2007

believe// week7

I was so blessed by church on Sunday. Former APU campus pastor Chris Brown had been visiting our ministry & on Sunday he gave the sermon at one of the churches in the township. He reminded us that our God is the same God of the New Testament. We just need to believe. Often we fail to actually believe the prayers we pray. And so then, what’s the point? As our hearts are shaped after God’s then so will our prayers be, so why should we not believe God will answer when we call upon him?

We must believe.

But how do I believe God has everything in control when I spent all Monday cleaning up an old age home where grandfathers and grandmothers had been forgotten by their loved ones. How do I believe in the love of Christ when Tuesday I heard about our 15-year-old friend who sits on the street and begs only to make $7 a day? How am I supposed to believe in the sovereignty of God on Wednesday when I held a child who literally had rot on his head because he isn’t able to shower weekly? And how do I believe in God’s mercy when I laid hands on a lady this morning who is dying of AIDS?

When circumstances around us seem to say that God isn’t listening, where do we find our belief?

I’ve come to find it in the body of Christ. I believe God loves when I see a young white South African embrace a colored grandmother whose abandonment by her son has turned her bitter. I believe God understands when I hear the words of wisdom a middle aged American shares with his small group of guys each week. I believe God provides when I speak with a woman with no food of her own makes soup for those dying of AIDS. I believe God is gracious when I hold precious children alongside my black South African brother.

For those of you who know me well, to consider the church as a reason for my belief is monumental. But here in South Africa I’m learning what it means to live in true community; a community that is the face of Jesus to its neighbors. And that is all the more reason to believe.

Prayer requests:
* We have a youth outreach that I've been planning alongside Lubabalo, another young guy on staff. On Tuesday night, we will be showing the Jesus film in Xhosa and then we'll be doing a follow up on Wednesday where we'll have some soccer games, crafts, small groups & a short message. We're hoping to attract youth 15 and older in order to grow our small group discipleship program. There is also a local youth group coming to join us. It's primarily white teens who have never been in the township of Mbekweni. So this will be a big outreach to them as well. Please be praying that out of this God will touch the lives of many young people; black, brown & white.
* Also, Blommie, the short term staff leader, is still awaiting surgery. Because of bronchitis her doctor has held off on her surgery. She is now waiting 2 more weeks until an available spot. This will take her out of our whole season of short term teams. I know it's been tough on her. Please keep her & her health in your prayers.

Enkosi!
(thank you)

No comments: