17 June 2007

to pour out// week5

Moloweni!

Well winter is here and in full effect. We’ve had a few deceitful sunny moments, but rain, wind and cold have become the norm these past two weeks. And as much as I enjoy rain, it’s hard on my soul because I think of my dear friends who aren’t sleeping under a leak-free roof. The dampness of my own flat only amplifies the hardships of the precious people of Mbekweni and Paarl East. It’s a tiring realization, but one I hope I never come immune to.

This past week has been busy as we are preparing for our first team of 5 coming in a week. So I have been occupied with meeting with staff in charge of different parts of the ministry to compile a schedule for this next team as well as the upcoming 2 teams in July. And due to a recent development, I will be especially busy. At the end of this week Blommie, who in charge of the short term teams on the South African side, and hence my “boss”, found out that she has a huge mass near her colon which needs to be removed. Her surgery will be next Monday. Recovery time is 4 to 6 weeks, which means I will be taking over for her along with Gary, who overseas the short term trips. This surgery is a pretty big thing and I know she is nervous. Please keep her in your prayers.

While my intern duties have kept me engaged, I’m still blessed by time spent in the communities. I’ll share some stories from Wednesday. A few weeks ago, my friend Khanti had asked if we could get together because he had some things on his mind. Khanti is bright Xhosa boy finishing his senior year of high school at a prestigious school here in Paarl. He has been involved in teaching dance classes at the community center and has been in leadership at his church as well as a part of the Western Cape national debate team. Now Khanti and I go back to my second trip. During that trip we had been up at camp where he was challenged in his own beliefs. After many tearful conversations he made some great decisions in regards to his Christian faith. Since then we’ve been in touch and it’s always a joy to see his bright smile. So this Wednesday he met me at the ministry coffee shop. As I listened, he began to pour out his heart. He’s feeling the weight of his community’s problems and is crumbling under the expectations set upon him. And all this is taking a toll on his faith. So he has asked to meet with me on a weekly basis to just be there to listen and offer him support. I am so excited about this opportunity. I love this boy dearly and am honored to have the chance to pour into his life.

The rest of Wednesday was equally as blessed. I went to the Lukhanyo community center and got to play with all the precious children. And the small groups are going really well. Debra, one of the MCM staffers that leads the group I’ve been sitting in on, has asked me to help her teach. I’m very excited to get involved. After small groups we invited all the small group leaders back to the coffee shop for dinner and some discipleship training time. I love spending time with these leaders. Many of them I know from the same time I meant Khanti. Three of the girls were in my small group at camp. It’s been so cool to watch them grow in the Lord and be able to, again, pour into their lives.

So the Lord is continually at work here in Paarl. I am constantly amazed by his sovereignty. I am welcoming the opportunities to pour into these beautiful communities. And I am amazed at how God continues to fill me as I pour out.
Thank you all for you prayer support. I am blessed by it!

When saying your prayers…
o Wisdom: Khanti & I will be meeting every Tuesday afternoon. I am praying that the Holy Spirit will give me the discernment to know when to speak and what to say.
o Stillness: It is easy to get caught up in the ministry without making time to just enjoy the Lord’s presence. During this season of my life, I am earnestly seeking God’s next step for my life. Being still is essential in discerning his calling.
o Health: This cold weather is making it difficult for me to stay well!
o Blommie: For a smooth surgery and quick and thorough recovery.

Hope this finds you well and enjoying warm weather. Be in touch soon!

No comments: