12 June 2007

harsh realities// week4

Well it’s definitely time for an update! I can’t believe I’m already on week 5 of my stay here. I’ll do my best to recapture some moments from this past week. As I’m writing this, the rain continues to pour down. It’s been hitting pretty heavy during the past week, causing some unfortunate flooding in the townships as well as up at the MCM farm. I know the farmers in the area are welcoming the nourishment to their fields but I can’t help but think about all those whose homes are slipping and sliding in the mud at the moment.

As the rain continues to fall, I am reminded of a harsh reality I saw this past week while serving soup at one of the community centers. My heart broke as I watched the under 5-year-old children head home with their soup. They were practically wading through puddles as fast as possible to avoid getting too much water in their soup bowls. I stood at the door, putting the hoods of their thin sweatshirts over their heads as they walked out with their hands full with their soup. I was almost in tears by the time we left. It’s moments like that when I am overwhelmed by the physical needs of this world. I hold on to the promise of the place our Lord is preparing for us where there is no suffering.

Another harder moment in the week was driving by a graveyard this weekend. I was amazed at how many “fresh” graves there seemed to be. AIDS, poverty and crime continue to hack away at humanity here in South Africa. It’s a somber realization.

Although the harsh realities can be difficult to digest at times, be rest assured that I am thoroughly enjoying every moment here! I am beginning to make friends within the community and have begun the church hunt. Yesterday I went to a church that was completely in English- that was a first! And all of the MCM staff has welcomed me with open arms. I’ve found myself with a whole new extended family. I’m very grateful!

I have moved in my one room flat, which is on the property of one of the ministry member’s home. It’s very comfortable and I’m thankful to have my own space for a while! I will stay here until the teams arrive, and then I will live with them in the ministry house.


I’ve been busy putting my journalism skills to use here at the office. I’ve been editing the new MCM website so that should be up and running soon. I’ll be sure to let you all know when it’s up! I’m also helping design some other informational media for the ministry and will soon create their first ever newspaper. I’m really enjoying applying my knowledge from classes and work at the newspaper.

Besides doing such work, I’m also starting to help prepare the schedules for the upcoming teams. We get our first team in about 10 days and from there on out we will be busy hosting teams from all over California. I’m definitely looking forward to that!

Well that’s the latest from this side of the world!

Here’s what you can be praying for:
o Health: I still have a lingering cough. I feel fine, but it’s just annoying!
o Focus: There is a lot to get done in the upcoming weeks and it’s easy to get into the “go, go, go” mentality. Pray that I will continue to move slow enough to be open to the promptings of the Holy Spirit.
o Friends: Being that I’m one of the youngest on staff, I’m hoping to make a few friends closer to my age. It’d be nice to have a few people to spend time with on the weekends who are under 30! So pray that the Lord will bring some godly people my age around.
o Ministry: Continue to keep all the MCM staff in your prayers & well as the people we are loving on!



gratitude, peace and love to all.

No comments: