14 July 2007

children//week9


The joy of a child is most definitely contagious. This week I was basked in that joy as I danced and jumped and laughed with the precious children of Magnolia Primary in Paarl East, the colored community we work in. MCM has had a continued involvement with Magnolia Primary for the past 3 years. It was the first school I ever taught in and it will always hold a special place in my heart.

We currently have a team here from the States who are putting on a vacation Bible school at the elementary school. Every day this week we have put on Bible skits, played games, sang songs and fed soup to over 300 children. Their giggles and smiles were the most precious thank you-s I’ve ever received.

One day, one of my little friends, Helen, tugged on my jacket and pulled me aside. With tears in her eyes she told me, “I just wanted to thank you for coming. Kids make fun of me for going to school at Magnolia because it’s so dirty but when you guys come and clean up I don’t feel so embarrassed. And thank you for telling us about Jesus.”

That’s what this is all about; making children feel treasured. Because that is what Jesus would do if he was here. The children were always a priority for him. And I’m reminded that of once again this week. And I think I will keep it as simple as that.

No comments: