07 July 2007

glorious// week8

This week was glorious. There’s no better adjective to describe it. Glorious means, “beautiful in a way that inspires wonder or joy.” The beauty of the week started with God’s creation. Finally, the sun has come out to play. I was able to leave the uggs and coat at home. When the sun shines in the valley it casts a heavenly light upon the mountains and reflects a majestic glow upon the faces of our children. The warmth brings a joyful aura to the streets of Mbekweni. Dogs and children romp at will. And I stand in wonder of God’s attention to detail. It truly is glorious.

Wednesday was America’s independence day. However what was glorious to me this year was not the freedom I have found from governments but rather freedom from Christ. The freedom of realizing my Jesus is not American but rather international. The freedom of serving alongside my friends, regardless of race or socioeconomic status. As you may recall, this week our youth outreach took place. Under the banner of Christ, we came together- black, white, colored, American, South African- to love our neighbors as Christ has loved us. I don’t think any one of us reached out without being touched ourselves. Through the means of sports and creative arts, four different cultures came together to share. We shared our food, our languages, our stories and our time, which I think all translated into sharing a love that reflected something beyond human goodwill. The joy of that those two days was nothing short of wonderful.

The rest of my week was mark by small, glorious moments. One afternoon after serving soup to the children I decide to pull out my camera. As I was taking some pictures the boys, as always, were shaping their fingers to resemble guns. They’re always “shooting” each other when the camera comes out. So I told them that we needed to come up with some better signs. And thus I showed them signs for peace and love. They were thrilled to learn something new and began begging me to takes pictures of them with their new signs. It was a small, but glorious moment for me.

Moments like that continue to follow me as if God is telling me, “it’s doesn’t take much to glorify my name. But when you do, it’s beautiful.” And it certainly is.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

oh no. the peace sign.