24 November 2007

grateful//week28

This Thursday I was missing baking pumpkin pies, Hayden & Reed arguing over who had to set the table for 18, my dad taking his sweet time doing unneeded home projects 10 minutes before our friends arrive, and my mom remaining graceful through it all. It was a holiday I didn’t think I’d miss, yet I spent most of the day recalling past holidays & wishing I’d be there for the chaos of this year’s holiday. Now, more than ever, I find myself so grateful for the gift of family.

But what I’m really grateful for this year is food.

As I always do, I spent my Thursday afternoon playing with and feeding little children who eat, on a good day, twice a day. On hot days we pass out bologna sandwiches instead of soup. Between you and me, I can’t stare at the sandwiches too long because it makes me queezy. Yet these kids gratefully accept their juice and sandwich. They are truly grateful.

And this Thursday, I learned from my little friends what gratefulness looks like.

It looks like loving your rubber bologna sandwich and the hand that passed it out.

I want to be bologna sandwich grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i do too girl. that really spoke to me. thank you for sharing your struggles and joys. love you.