12 August 2007

beyond poverty//week13

This week poverty became personal. It’s always broken my heart as I’ve dished soup out to barefoot children in the rain. It’s always convicted me as I complain about old shoes. But it was never personal, until I went to visit my best friend.

Andiswe is a beautiful 23-year-old Xhosa woman who is the faithful mother of charming four-year-old Yonda. She leads a small group of young girls every week at one of the community centers. The hardships and challenges of her life do not show on her face. Andi has the gentlest smile and the warmest hug. I’ve had the opportunity to spend precious time with her and she has become a dear friend of mine.


Well this week I was invited into her home. As I trekked through the mud, stepping over sewage and garbage, I quickly realized that she lived in one of the shacks that border the community center. For the past 3 years I’ve always wondered about those shacks & have prayed for those people. As I stepped into her home, my heart stopped. And as I looked around, it then shattered into delicate pieces. Her home has two small rooms off the main room, where there’s enough room for a table and some worn out kitchen appliances. The floor had was a thin material that seemed to become one with the ground beneath. The walls leaned in, as if they were huddled together to keep the wind out. In her room were a sagging bed and a few stacked suitcases. I quickly searched for words, afraid that if I didn’t say something I’d retreat to tears. So I volunteered to give little Yonda a bath. And as she sat squished in a tiny plastic tub I scrubbed her little body as she told me about her day, in Xhosa. Minutes later I was sitting on Andiswe’s bed, just like I sit on the beds of my friends’ at home. We began to chat about God. We giggled over boys. Yonda started to dance. And we laughed. Suddenly, poverty was not this taboo disease or life-ruining circumstance. Poverty extended no further than the physical. And while I still walked out of that shack heartbroken, I finally got a glimpse of true joy, of what it means to be sincerely elated regardless of circumstances.

And now I realize why people give up everything to live among the poor. It’s not the lack of material that attracts, but the abundance of spirit. And since I walked out of that shack, I’ve been waiting to run back in. Because what I experienced there went so far beyond the limits of poverty.

4 comments:

Elliot and Jolene Saks said...

Jenna... I have been keeping up with you blog... since your first post.

Your experiences and heart in Africa are two things I am looking forward to seeing for my self when we study together. You have a warm and caring heart. I thank God for you and how you have been touching the people around you. And I am thankful for how they have been touching you.

This post, in particular, means a lot to me. Thanks for keeping up with your blog. Of everyone abroad right now, you have been the only one keeping up with your posting.

I am really looking forward to hearing about your experiences in Africa. Hopefully I wont be too quiet to strike up a conversation with you :)
I will see you soon.

Jolene

Anonymous said...

Jenna,

WOW. What an incredible experience! As your words reflect on what you learned inside her home, I visually remember the joyous faces of so many in Ghana as well who had "nothing" materialistically speaking and EVERYTHING in spirit. What a blessing to see God's love through it all...isn't it these times when you realize you are the one being ministered too? I sure felt it just reading your last blog...what an important reminder to us in the States. GOSH I miss Africa! I love you bunches and I am praying for your transition into "2nd semester" as classes start soon for you and you continue your faith journey. You are missed and I cant wait to hear your voice again!!!

Love love love, Shan

Anonymous said...

Jenna. Your writing is amazing! Your heart for God is what so many of us long for. I look up to you with all my heart, mind and soul! I miss you and your stories you share are just BEAUTIFUL.
ANNA

Unknown said...

Jenna! Haven't talked to you in a while. Got a link to your blog in an email from your mom. I'm so proud of you and excited about what God is doing in your life. I've never experienced life in Africa, but I plan to go to the southeastern part of the Sudan in the spring with a friend. I hope to see you sometime in the near future. You need to meet Hudson! If you want to email me, its joshlowry@yahoo.com. love ya cuz. josh