02 August 2007

staying//week12

We’ve had two teams here for the past 3 weeks and it’s consumed all my time. Since our staff member who is in charge of the short-term teams is still out I’m in charge. On Thursday our last team for a while arrives so I’ll be busy again for the next 2 weeks. After that I’m going to take some time to just enjoy South Africa. I definitely need a break!


Here’s some big news to share with you all, I’ve decided not to study with APU’s SA program next semester for a few reasons. First of all I've been really dreading leaving here in 5 weeks, as you all have read. I cry every time I think about it. I’ve given my heart to this place and these people. I’ve made best friends here and the staff have become my family. I run into people I know in town and I’ve made friends with the waiters at my favorite coffee shop. I have precious little kids that run to me when they see me. This really has become home. I adore Paarl. It reminds me of a farming town in the states, something I would never like at home yet this place as become so precious. So besides separation anxiety, I was wondering if I’d truly get the chance to make as many close relationships and experience the cultures as well as I can here. So after talking with my parents, APU & MCM staff we've worked it out for me to take online classes so that I can just stay here in Paarl until December!

Which also opens up the opportunity to go to Botswana & Zambia at the beginning of December on an outreach that we're planning. We’re going to do a VBS for an orphanage & go out into the rural villages and help people who have HIV & AIDS. I'm really excited to have the chance to see another part of Africa since I do feel that God is calling me to this continent. But I've been unsure of where, since I've only seen South Africa. So this opportunity in itself is an answer to prayers. So please keep that opportunity in your prayers as well.

Overall, I feel a huge peace about staying and am so excited to continue my internship here. God has been teaching me a lot. I’m constantly being reminded through the Bible & worship songs to wait upon the Lord and he will take care of me.

“Those who wait upon the Lord will renew their strength and mount up like eagles. They will walk and not grow weary, they will run and not be faint.”
Isaiah 40:31

1 comment:

Wolf family said...

WOW girl. This is huge and wonderful news. I will certainly be praying for you in this new development. What a blessing that you can take online classes! You are coming back to APU 2nd semester though, right??
Love, Melanie Wolf