19 August 2007

homesick//week14

Well this week has been quite an adjustment for myself. At last we’re done with our short-term team season. As fun as it was to introduce Americans to this wonderful place, it was so exhausting. So the peace and quiet has been restful for my introverted self. But as the dust settles the recent empty mornings and subdued evenings has created a longing for home.

I’ve been missing the smallest things like chicken burgers from the Den, the friendly homeless man outside Starbucks and watching my roommates workout in our living room. I miss my mother begging me to stop drinking Starbucks and the worship at Kaleo. I miss the Walk on Fridays and watching the Chargers with my dad.

The silver lining is, however, that during this time I’ve really had to trust God to bring friendships into my life that would support me during this time. He’s had to become my closest friend. And of course, my faithful father has provided. I’ve been blessed with three girls, Andiswe, Pam and Pumla. They are all small group leaders in the township, who I’ve known for a while. And in the past two weeks our friendships have really blossomed. We get together every Friday morning to pray and encourage each other in whatever challenges we may be facing. Having this special time has been such a joy.

And so I am welcoming homesickness as way of God pulling me closer to him. And as complement to all you at home. I am so encouraged by the emails & letters. You are all a bunch worth missing.

Blessings to you all.

No comments: